Social Mouth Forum
I am currently organising a one-day forum – with Jennifer Kettle, Alison Patrick and Lorna Warren – for researchers engaging with social sciences and humanities approaches to the study of the mouth, oral health and dentistry. We are putting together a day of presentations, discussion, and networking which will take place in Yorkshire.
The event is aimed at kick-starting a UK network of researchers engaged with sociological and social scientific theory, methods and research looking at the social context of the mouth and oral health at either an individual and societal level.
Supported by the Unit of Dental Public Health at the University of Sheffield who are hosting the event, The Social Mouth will take place between 10.00 and 17.00 on Tuesday 11th July 2017. The aim of the day is to provide an opportunity for people to present current research and work-in-progress in an informal setting and to discuss the idea of further developing this oral health research network.
The Call for Papers is currently open with an initial deadline of Friday 26th May.
We would like to invite people to present work at The Social Mouth in the format of a 15 minute presentation. You are welcome to present on any aspect of your work in progress, but you may want to consider the following topics:
- Everyday experiences of the mouth
- Life course and the mouth/oral health
- Inequality and oral health
- Living with long-term conditions
- The impact of/ public interface with health care technologies
- Applied health research
- Innovatory methodologies
- New theoretical approaches
- Patient and user involvement in oral health research and policy
If you would be interested in attending and/or presenting, please contact Jennifer Kettle by Friday 26th May with a short, 150-200 word biography (which will be distributed among delegates), details of the work you would like to present and information of any dietary requirement you might have.
If we can accept your presentation, we will need an abstract of no more than 250 words by Friday 16th June for inclusion in the programme.
- 26th May 2017: Deadline for notifications of interest (presenters and delegates)
- 2nd June 2017: Accepted presenters and other delegates notified
- 16th June 2017: Deadline for presenter abstracts
This is a free event, and lunch will be provided but delegates will be responsible for their own travel and/or accommodation costs.